[V8Vairs] Crown V8 input shaft

VairMech at aol.com VairMech at aol.com
Mon Dec 19 21:18:07 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/19/2005 7:16:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jjrunningrealtor at aol.com writes:

I just  disassembled the transmission in my crown conversion and found damage
to the  input shaft at the area of the needle bearings. Can any one tell me
if this is  something that can be repaired or modified? If not, does anyone
know where I  can find a good one.

    I have tried to repair one of these and the weld  material was not good
enough, but the grind was excellent. I tried to have it  re-heat treated and as
I said the weld material was of the low carbon material  so it would not heat
treat.

    If you cannot find a used one, I have a new one on  the shelf for $450
plus shipping. The one I have is the Clark's C5352. I also  understand that
there were two styles of shafts, make sure of what you  have.

    I also know that it is imperative that the bell  housing is centered to
the crankshaft. If not there will always be a bend in the  mainshaft at the
clutch gear and the bearing surfaces will take the brunt of the  forces.

    Ken Hand