[V8Vairs] air

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 14:11:28 EST 2005

Vintage Air recently switched over from vacuum operated doors run by vacuum
switching valves to all-electric operation.  I've installed both and I'll say
that the newer "Gen II" all-electric is the way to go.  Mounting and later
troubleshooting VSVs is a PITA.

Also, take a look at the construction of the evap/heater core before you make
your decision.  Most, if not all, Vintage Air units take an existing,
smallish, evap core and cut/weld it to create a combined 1/3 - 2/3 heater/evap core.
Performance is OK in a moderate environment but not so OK in a tougher
environment.  The tell tale is a big sticker that says "Never run anything but
anti-freeze" (Unstated: if you do you will freeze and split the core)   I've
installed other units, like "Southern Air" that had separate cores and more
cooling/heating performance. I think Vintage "cool only" units use the whole core for
evap.

Vintage stuff is good and they have a wide variety of options - I just don't
like the split core for challenging environments.
Craig Nicol

<snip>I'm building a rear 4.3 V6 and I plan on using a heat-def-A/C unit from
either Vintage Air or Hot Rod Air. They both have similar units. The Vintage
Air unit would be their "Compac". They used to make a cable operated one but
I think they have switched over to all electric/vacuum units. I'd like to
use a cable operated one so I could use either the stock Corvair heater or
A/C controls.Ed Dowds <unsnip>