[V8Vairs] Front Suspension Settings... / car!

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:35:19 -0700

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596811.jpg

This photo shows the car from the rear quarter.  Considerable rust damage
had to be repaired.  Rear wheel wells were tubbed out to handle 12" wide
tires.  The side scoop is visible ahead of the rear wheel opening.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596803.jpg

Photo under right rear.  Pumpkin of live axle is (barely) visible to the
left of the coil over.  Painting suspension parts black doesn't make them
real easy to photograph.

 http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596798.jpg

Right side of car.  Side scoop is laid onto pre-existing body lines. Inner
and outer lips of the opening are curved to match the original car shape.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596788.jpg

Again, right side of car.  Tube-framed bulkhead across car forms both
firewall and structural support.  Bulge in bulkhead wraps around
transmission chain case.  Structural console ties bulkhead to front axle
and front framing of car.  Entire floor was rotted away, and had to be
replaced.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596780.jpg

Interior of trunk shows front radiator mount, air outlet, brake pedal
mount box, and framing of console termination.  A bit fuzzy, but it was
cold in the barn last night.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596772.jpg

Again, a bit fuzzy.  Interior drivers side.  Floor was moved forward about
8 inches.  In usable position, brake pedal about even with remaining LF
fender interior and pre-existing frame rail.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596764.jpg

Rear of engine is recessed into what used to be the package shelf area of
car.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596755.jpg

Former engine compartment now contains fuel cell.  Truss in front of cell
supports coil overs and rigidly ties side rails together to prevent
twisting.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596747.jpg

Passenger side of engine shows differential and end of transmission output
shaft under yellow cap.  Four link suspension mount bracket is on inside
of frame rail.  To provide better welding surface and structural
reinforcement, frame rails were doubled with 1/4" plate on inside surface.
 Driveshaft expected to be something like 14" long.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596739.jpg

Front corner.  Standard headlight assembly has been replaced with large
rectangular headlights from Mack truck.  Opening for headlights has been
frenched back several inches and will also serve as air inlet for front
radiator.  Again, considerable rust repair has been needed.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596733.jpg

Another of right side.  Forgot to turn the flash on.

http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL86/504386/1679631/79596726.jpg

A dark shot of the left side.  Rear cooling air grille has been removed
and opening covered with a new roll pan.  I wanted to keep the overall
lines, but not the excrescences added to accommodate the reality of an
air-cooled engine.

I also need to request some guidance...  I mistakenly threw away the front
wheel bearing dust caps due to damage assuming that replacements would be
easy to find.  They're not!  I can't find a source for 1-3/4" dust caps
anywhere.  (I don't need the speedo cable drive cap.)  This was used on
millions of GM cars for decades, but seems to have gone the way of the
dodo.  Any suggestions?

As always, visitors to Southern Colorado are invited to stop by for a
looksee.

Doug Evans

"67 Rustbucket Coupe with a couple of modifications

"Rick & Janet Norris"
01/03/2005 02:53 PM

<DEvans@csu.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [V8Vairs] Front Suspension Settings... / car!

Doug,
Don't forget to take some photos!
Rick Norris