[V8Vairs] Frame under

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:00:28 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2005 9:28:44 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
akidd@zeagna.com writes:

Part of  the windshield wiper area was notched for the
distributor.  If I ever  change the motor I would like to do the next one
with an LT1 which sits  lower and has no distributor.

Well - Not exactly. The LT1 has the distributor located in the front  of the
motor - just underneath the cam-driven water pump - GOOD PLAN, GM!   The
OptiSpark distributor system is prone to water contamination. On my 1994  F-Body
race car, I had to trim away a bunch of wiper area to drop in an L98  style
motor with the top mounted distributor, as you point out. If I were doing  the
Vair with a front V8 mounting, I'd run an aftermarket full electronic  system on
the LT1, with separate coils. The prices keep coming down! It  would be nice
to have the FI inlet and no hood clearance problems, as  well. How about
finding a rolled Late model Camaro, stretching the  wheelbase at the back, and
dropping on the Vair Body. Cool?

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer@aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette