[V8Vairs] Frame under

AKidd v8vairs@corvair.org
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:30:32 -0500

Have a 96 Caprice with an LT1 and am far too aware of the optispark and
horribly routed plug wires.  As you point out its neat till the waterpump
leaks and you have to lay out big $ for a new one.  I've been reading about
the coil pack conversions and its on my list of things to consider when my
Opti goes.

I like the LT1 for the lower intake height which would be perfect on the
vair.  I had to notch the inner hood liner to clear the TPI intake.
According to my measurements I wouldn't have had to do that  if I had used
an LT1.

As an aside there is a guy who converts LT1 intakes for use with TPI era
blocks.  Doesn't eliminate the distributor but shortens the height quite
abit.  Creates a bit of a water & gas plumbing problem but so does putting a
V8 in a vair.

-----Original Message-----
From: v8vairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:v8vairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf
Of Sethracer@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 5:00 PM
To: v8vairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: [V8Vairs] Frame under

In a message dated 1/19/2005 9:28:44 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
akidd@zeagna.com writes:

Part of  the windshield wiper area was notched for the distributor.  If I
ever  change the motor I would like to do the next one with an LT1 which
sits  lower and has no distributor.

Well - Not exactly. The LT1 has the distributor located in the front  of the

motor - just underneath the cam-driven water pump - GOOD PLAN, GM!   The
OptiSpark distributor system is prone to water contamination. On my 1994
F-Body
race car, I had to trim away a bunch of wiper area to drop in an L98  style
motor with the top mounted distributor, as you point out. If I were doing
the
Vair with a front V8 mounting, I'd run an aftermarket full electronic
system on
the LT1, with separate coils. The prices keep coming down! It  would be nice

to have the FI inlet and no hood clearance problems, as  well. How about
finding a rolled Late model Camaro, stretching the  wheelbase at the back,
and
dropping on the Vair Body. Cool?

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer@aol.com