[V8Vairs] RE: lifters some more and frames in Corvairs

Thomas Robert R Civ OC-ALC/MAEAPF v8vairs@corvair.org
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:10:36 -0600

I wasn't going to send this, but what the heck.

Larry (and Lon I suppose),

We all should realize what people in FastVairs were discussing was lifters
for race or high performance engines, not stock or warmed over street
engines. Comparing what works for stock rebuilds to what's needed for racing
engines isn't valid and people might not ought to get their panties in a
bunch over the difference.

A Corvair engine that stays at or below 6000 rpm isn't usually going to need
lifters any better than stock.  Once an engine starts running consistently
above 6000-7000 rpm with stiffer valve springs, etc, stocks lifters don't
work as well as those designed to operate in those under the higher
stresses.

I'm no super hot engine builder, but I changed to Isky lifters when I
installed a higher lift, longer duration cam and stiffer valve springs.  The
valves would float around 6k in stock condition. Some of  that's caused by
the lifters not being able to maintain the required internal pressure.  With
the Isky parts, 7000 was no problem. I held the engine at max speed for
probably 90 seconds on a long downhill straight without it missing a beat.

This is preaching to a choir with infinitely more experience than I have but
we need to stop comparing what works for low stress street engines to what's
needed for highly stressed race engines.  I've disassembled almost every
lifter type I've replaced in my engines and there are noticeable differences
in their engineering and consequently construction.  Some have flat valves,
some beveled, some have polished pushrod seats, some are rough, the oil
passages and oil holes are different. And that's not considering differences
in the material used to make them.

We need one of the high performance engine builders to acquire a dyno and
maybe we enthusiasts can fund a test engine. Then various components could
be tested as scientifically as possible and the data documented. Yeah, I
know this is FastVair stuff but we're all one big happy Corvair family. I've
often dreamed of us all combining resources and having an incredibly
competive Corvair assembled to show the world what the car can do with the
right backing. SBCs have had millions of dollars worth of free test and
development donated through shops like Westech participating in  magazine
articles and Popular Hotrodding's Engine Master contests.  California
dreaming in Oklahoma.

There are pictures of an interesting car on the Hot Rod Power Tour page
http://www.hotrod.com/2004powertour/113_day3_2004/

You can see  where the forward end of the Corvair unibody frame and
suspension assembly has been removed and the front of a regular car frame
has been grafted. The whole frame may have been replaced from what the
pictures show.

The car has fabricated square tubing lower control arms, tubular upper
control arms, coil-overs, rack and pinion, and disk brakes.  The spindles
are aluminum (well, not the spindles but the deal that connects between the
ball joints and holds the spindles).  The rear suspension is even more
complex but there's only one picture of it.

And, the older Toronado/Buicks are longitudinal installations with
automatics.  That's what I have now.  I'd like a compact standard transaxle
installation and the Fieros look like the right fit - if they're plentiful,
not expensive, and strong enough.  Dewey Thomas emailed me to remind me he's
building a Corvairero and he only lives about 45 minutes away.

Bob Thomas
68Monza
65Sprint