[V8Vairs] Searching for a value

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Oct 25 11:24:27 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/25/2005 3:20:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mclark67 at charter.net writes:

Hey  everyone.  Been lurking for awhile but now have a question.

I've  found a Buick 215 car that a guy is selling, and wants me to make  an
offer.  I haven't the faintest what it should be.  Here's a  description of
the car.

1965 Corvair with 66 trans
4bbl 215 Buick  with a nice cam, 5000 miles
3.27 gears
Needs paint, some interior, front  end bushings
Been sitting awhile, should fire up with a new  battery

The guy has owned this car for about 20 years, gone through it  twice, but
now is old and wants a boat.

Anyone have any ideas what I  should offer him?

I kind of "second" Bryan's comment about running or not-running. Is this a
rear engine, reverse rotated car? It sounds like it. Something you always need
to check on the 215 motors is the cooling systems. If not properly
maintained,  the coolant chambers in the block and heads can turn to swiss cheese.
1960's GM engineers had likely learned about the water solubility of their
aluminum, but the public continued to add water instead of approved anti-freeze,
killing many a 215. Does the body have much rust? That is a future cost to
consider. Sitting for that long usually takes out the brake systems, be sure to
check it out. If a new battery will start the motor and you are satisfied that
the engine is non-corroded inside, and that the tin-worm hasn't eaten too
much,  I would offer $2500. If it needs brakes, or the cooling system has a lot
of  "white" inside it, more like $1500 - $2000. - Seth  Emerson