[V8Vairs] Re: new transaxle design and billet engine

Me Too dailygrind4ever at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 23:34:49 EDT 2005

Hello all you people out there in V8 Vair land!!

I am currently designing a new differential case that
would take a larger differential and ring and pinion
gears...using IFS   components from a full size Chevy
truck.  This design would be very similar in size and
shape to the original Corvair design but would allow
gear changes, limited slip or locking differentials,
improved oiling,  and driving the gear from the
correct side instead of the coast side and would bolt
up to a bellhousing instead of having a collar.  I was
hoping to design a transmission case that would use
T-56 components that would bolt up to the
diff...giving a strong six speed transaxle that could
be used in either mid-engine or rear-engine
applications.

I was also tinkering with the idea of designing a
billet crankcase based on SBC dimensions (meaning 4.3L
V6 pistions, rods and such could be used) with a DOHC
head design based on the Subaru H6 (well, it is a GM
brand y'know) this could use separate cylinders that
are either water cooled (one casting could be used on
both sides) or using Porsche air-cooled barrels.

Let me know what you guys think, I know this is V8
Vairs, but I know that all the V8 guys could use a
stronger differential and wouldn't mind having a
transmission w/more than 4 gears...and having a new
flat-six with SBC components would be a 3/4 scale
twist on the V8 philosophy...if you would be
interested for personal use or know someone who would,
please pass this on.

Thanks for your time,
Trent