[V8Vairs] 4.3 vortec engine swap

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:18:21 EDT 2005

Carrine-
I have an '86 4.3 in my '66 500. I think there may be some differences
between the '86 4.3 and a '95. I think the '95 has a balance shaft.
On the '86 the changes necessary were a new reverse camshaft, two timing
gears to replace the two gear/chain setup, a reverse starter, special
reverse engine front and rear crank oil seals and reversing the pistons on
the rods to prevent piston slap when the engine is reversed.

When a 4.3 is reversed the way I did it no distributor mods are necessary
because the distributor turns the same way it did originally. I just had to
change the plug wires around on the cap to get the correct order. I am not
using a computer so I combined a straight 6 HEI and a V8 HEI, from 1975
engines, to get a non-computer V6 distributor with vacuum advance.

I believe the '95 would not have a distributor but I may be wrong. It may
depend on original application.
You may not be able to run the stock computer knock sensor because the
timing gears are sometimes noisy enough to trigger a false knock code.

I mounted the engine using a universal engine swap crossmember that goes
under the motor and uses side mounts from a 60's SBC V8. I made some plates
that drop down from the corvair engine compartment side rails to join to the
ends of the crossmember.
I don't think the original subframe would be needed as it would make the
rear of the Corvair even more weight biased.

Email me if you have any questions.

                                    Ed