[V8Vairs] Porsche Transaxle

Brown, Douglas T CIV NAVAIR DEPT douglas.t.brown at navy.mil
Thu Dec 7 12:41:38 EST 2006

Thanks,  I found a local Porsche dismantler offering a '94 C4 G50 trans
from a Car-b-que for $2000.  Pics:
http://www.autobahnparts.com/cardetails.aspx?car=1994_C4&make=Porsche&se
ries=911  C4 means all-wheel drive.  He said you can just not hook up
the front drive.  I wonder about that.  He also offered a 915 trans with
about 15K on a rebuild (with paperwork) for $1700.  Add to that price,
axle mods, upper control arm fab, shift linkage, clutch conversion,
adapter plate, etc, and it's not a cheap swap to get overdrive.  I
wouldn't say crazy expensive though.  The 915 is supposed to be good for
400 hp.

>From what I've read, the G50 gets flipped over to work mid-engine,
lowering the input shaft.  The 915 gets a flipped ring gear instead.  I
think the 915 is a little shorter from the bellhousing to the axles.
Some more info on using Porsche trans behind a V8 is available here:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/tech-powertrain-transaxles/

Has anyone on the list put a 915 trans in their Corv-8?
Toby