[V8Vairs] RE: ElectricWater Pump

George Jones bubblehd at excite.com
Thu Dec 14 23:49:59 EST 2006

 Thanks for the info Seth, I'll check them out. George Jones--- On Thu 12/14, < sethracer at aol.com > wrote:From: [mailto: sethracer at aol.com]To: v8vairs at corvair.orgDate: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:24:41 -0500Subject: Re: [V8Vairs] RE: ElectricWater PumpI spent a few minutes with a person at Stewart Components (Water pumps) this afternoon at the Performance Racing Industry trade show in Orlando, FL. I specifically asked whether their Electric Remote (in line) pump was sufficient to cool a V8 Corvair. I described the issues with engine placement and water flow. He assured me that any small block Chevy up to 400 HP could be cooled with one of their pumps. Above 400 HP, he felt a pair of pumps, each being fed from one of the pair of water outlets in the front of the block, could move plenty of coolant. With the pump moved out of the way, and a small, low mounted alternator, perhaps you would have enough room for good seats. - Seth Emerson -----Original Message-----From:
douglas.t.brown at navy.milTo: v8vairs at corvair.orgSent: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 9:33 AMSubject: [V8Vairs] RE: Water PumpGeorge,Have you checked Renegade Hybrids? http://www.renegadehybrids.comThis is an email quote I received from them May 20, 2004:WATER PUMP AND ASSEMBLY: Remote mounted water pump assembly $335.00mounts to the side of the engine and is belt driven from the harmonic balancer,effectively shortening the overall engine length by approximately 5". Featuresour Renegade custom, cast aluminum, housing, utilizing an aluminum Chryslerstyle big block impeller. Includes adjustable mounting bracket, pulley, and coolantFittings. The flow rate of this pump is comparable to many high performanceChevrolet pumps. (Replacement impeller for custom housing = $89.00)COOLANT INLET PLATES & FITTINGS: Machined from aluminum. Bolts $80.00to the front of the block where the stock water pump was located. Includes ¾"90-degree fittings. Priced per pair.I am seriously considering using their
pump even though it is rather high $, as it's the only that delivers the GPM and sits out of the way. Contact them for pictures.Hope this helps,Toby Brown-----Original Message-----I've looked at electric WP's (as well as remote mount electric), and as tempted as I am to give it a try, I'm a bit reluctant. The best flow rate I've seen out of an electric WP is about 55 GPM, and the factory WP has a flow rate of about 95-110GPM. Not sure what this would do to the operating temp. which runs currently at about 220 in around town driving (with a 160 degree thermostat). I'm comfortable with this temp., but I wouldn't want it to go much higher.Any thoughts?George Jones_______________________________________________V8Vairs mailing listV8Vairs at corvair.orghttp://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/listinfo/v8vairsThis list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, http://www.corvair.org/________________________________________________________________________Check out the new AOL. Most
comprehensive set of free safety and security tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail and more._______________________________________________V8Vairs mailing listV8Vairs at corvair.orghttp://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/listinfo/v8vairsThis list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, http://www.corvair.org/