[V8Vairs] Re: V8Vairs Digest, Vol 22, Issue 8

RT Coffin trisgar at surry.net
Fri Dec 15 06:47:24 EST 2006

Hi George,
I have seen a significant difference between a aluminum Griffin long tube
two row and a conventional 4 core radiator in heat rejection/ transfer
capability.
This assumes , of course, that  your coolant flow is correct in flow rate.I
had a case where the standard type thermostat wasn't able to open enough to
provide adequate flow. It  was cured by one of the high flow rate ones.
You can test whether you have enough flow and heat rejection capability by
installing a restrictor plate, with a 9/16" or 5/8" diameter hole,  in place
of the thermostat and see if you get the temp rise you do now.Of course it
may take longer to get there but will tell you what you need to know.
If the temp still gets to 220, then you need flow, heat rejection or airflow
improvements. I would suggest you make sure that the air has enought opening
area to get out, and that it is exausted thru the bottom of the "trunk" and
at the front of the front fender wheel well.
Holes on top of the wheel well are subject to the tire pumping air back into
the trunk area and partially blocking the airflow thru the radiator art road
speed.
Hope this helps,
Bob C