[V8Vairs] Toronado Drivetrains

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Tue Jan 3 18:00:13 EST 2006

Bob,
I guess it depends on what engine you are using.  As I recall you have an
SBC right?  There is a yahoo group mailing list called THM-425 for using
the 425, 325 transmissions
in other apps, people there might have other suggestions.
Mine uses a stock oil pan as the engine is the stock Toro engine.  It also
is not that
complicated to modify a sheet metal pan, to make clearance for the axle.
Here is  a picture of one I found linked from that site.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tonybowman_1/detail?.dir=6454&.dnm=d0c4.jpg&.src=ph

I have  a Buick 215 Oil pan that someone did this do.  They cut it, bent
it to the new shape and brazed it up.  This as long as it does not
interfere with the connecting rods and crank.  From what I read shorter
throw non stroked SBC engines should not have a problem.

The axle support is also stock on mine, bolted to the oil pan.
I will  take pictures of specific parts of my car if that will help.

My car has the lower suspension links removed, and the trailing arms have
additional arms welded on forming an A that runs to mounts in paralled to
the
stock trailing arm conenctions.  I am not thrilled with this setup, but it
works.  I would like to play around with adding heim joint lower control
arms instead, but don't know if it would make much difference.

I have a spare instruction manual for building a Toro conversion.  I could
send you a copy if you dont have one already.

-Geoff Johnson