[V8Vairs] Remote Water Pump?

Matthew Strebler streblerm at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 1 22:28:44 EDT 2006

That's a pretty slick setup.  George and I are thinking along the same lines here.  I already have my alt mounted low left where the WP is in the renegade setup.  That location for the alt is what primarily causes the legroom problem.  Even with the trick pulley, that setup is only going to give an inch or so more room than the stock water pump, low left alt setup.

  The problem with the remote mount pumps is that they still require some kind of fitting/adapter to mount the hoses to the front of the block.  Probably a 90 to a 12AN fitting with a flat plate to bolt to the block.  If you factor in the adapter, you really don't gain much with the remote electric over a regular electric water pump in the stock location.

  The other problem with electrics is that they tend to flow less than their high volume belt driven counterparts.

  I'm thinking of going electric fuel pump with a low right alt mount.  The short shaft pump doesn't stick out too far IMHO.  I'll make a console to cover the pulleys and the passenger will just have a little less room than the driver.  I think there's still enough room to put a fairly wide seat between the pulley and the door and my mockup indicates that it will be fairly well oriented to the pedals.  I'm leaning toward procar scat for the seat.

  Matt

Jeff Gum <jgum at comcast.net> wrote:
  Have you guys considered the Renegade system? Their V8 to Porsche
914 conversion system remotely locates the water pump low and to the
side of the block, frees up room up front. Seems like just the thing
for a Crown conversion car?

A few pics of their set-up:
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/914/914conv.html

Jeff