[V8Vairs] paint tips

Matthew Strebler streblerm at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 28 07:33:31 EDT 2006

You are using too large of a tip in your gun.  With modern paint, something in the range of a 1.3-1.4 tip is what the pros are using.  The larger tip atomizes the paint less and contributes to orange peel.  I don't know exactly what brand of gun you have (to tell you how to set it up exactly)  but it will help to turn the volume adjustment in, effectively limiting the trigger movement and turn up your air pressure.  This will allow the gun to atomize better.  Try turning the volume adjustment all the way in (no trigger movement) then turn it out two full turns.  try to spray a test panel and keep turning the adjustment out until just enough paint comes out that you are not dry spraying.

  A 1.7 tip is really designed for primer where the main objective is to get as much paint on the panel as possible with a minimal amount of overspray.  Texture (orange peel) is much less of a consideration with primer since you will be sanding it flat anyway.

  I won't say that it is impossible to get a decent paint job with the 1.7, but it will be very difficult.

  Remember, less volume + more pressure = better atomization.  Also, make sure your fan adjustment is adjusted as wide as possible while still getting an even pattern.

  Good Luck,
                   Matt

JIMMIE HARWICK <JIMMIEHARWICK at COX.NET> wrote:
  I have a 66 mid engen v8 I am trying to paint it (first time painter) in my
garage.

Using a gravity feed with 1.7 tip, 20 psi. at gun,

I cannot seem to get the paint to lay flat, to much orange peel.

Eny body have eny suggestions? .