[V8Vairs] paint tips

nicolcs at aol.com nicolcs at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 08:35:15 EDT 2006

Couple of tips, Jimmie: The tip is too large.  Drop down to a 1.35.  Also, pressure is too low. Look at paint spec sheet.  The full range is more like 35 to 55 - usually 45-50 PSI for the paint I spray.  That should do it but if it still doesn't level well enough (it will be pretty good at this point) you can shift down to one-step cooler reducer. (they are gauged to shop temperature).  Don't overload the surface with paint. Follow the instructions which usually indicate "full-wet coat" only once toward the end.  A medium wet coat will level if the reducer is right for temperature or for a lower temperature. It's risky to overload the surface in a attempt to get it to level; do it with reducer temp.
Craig Nicol

<snip>

I have a 66 mid engen v8 I am trying to paint it (first time painter) in my
garage.

Using a gravity feed with 1.7 tip, 20 psi. at gun,

I cannot seem to get the paint to lay flat, to  much orange peel.

Eny body have eny suggestions? .