[V8Vairs]Darrell Dean built v8

George Jones bubblehd at excite.com
Thu Jun 22 21:17:16 EDT 2006

Matt,

Thanks for the link. This gives me a little more insight into the engineering behind this car. To answer your questions, yes, I have driven one other V8 Corvair and it was a Kelmark conversion. Like the Kelmark, this one is a brute to drive.

I had a little difficulty with the shifter (short throw), it feels a little clunky (!?!). The power rack & pinion really needs the power steering pump, or the steering wheel needs to be a little larger. In motion, it's not bad, but slow speed turns are a real B!?tch. I've got to do something about the water pump (probably remote electric) to gain a little leg room. The water pump pulley will contact the seat back if you hit the breaks hard. There seems to be some binding in the suspension/drivetrain somewhere when accelerating hard. All in all, the car definately needs a little sorting out. There will need to be some electrical work done.

I haven't taken physical possession of the car yet (probably next week), so I can't confidently speak to the handling under acceleration yet. I didn't notice anything quirky while on the test drive (other than the whole car, that is!)

George Jones
'65 Monza V8
'66 Corvair Custom