[V8Vairs] Kelmark Starter question

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 00:09:47 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/5/2006 8:09:38 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tbarrie at meritprecision.com writes:

I have a  Kelmark conversion (SBC not Toro) and need a starter.

Does anyone know  the application that the original starter came from? It
appears to be an  unusual nose cap with raised bolt locations to the block. I
am using a 96  Vortec but I was led to believe that the Gen 1 blocks all had
the same  mounts for starters.

Appreciate the help. Tim

Tim - The starter for your conversion should be specific to your block and
flywheel. It should have nothing to do with the Kelmark conversion. The number
of teeth on the flywheel and the block bolts is all that should matter. Real
old  Chevy V8 motors had starters that bolted to the bellhousing, like the
Vair, but those haven't been used in years, since the 70's at least. Even  if
the Kelmark had a provision for it, you would be better off bolting to the
block if it will clear the bellhousing okay. Some of the variables on the  late
starters are an offset bolt on some models.  -  Seth