[V8Vairs] Kelmark Starter question

Tim Barrie tbarrie at meritprecision.com
Mon Mar 6 13:32:43 EST 2006

Seth, I have in fact the correct starter and flywheel for the engine, a '96
SB out of a 1/2 ton truck. It is a Vortec but I understand that it is still
a first generation block. The starter bolts up fine to the block and engages
the ring gear.
When I tried to bolt up the Kelmark adapter the starter interfered. I took
the starter off and bolted up the adaptor, rear-end and transmission.
If I now put the snout of the starter in the Kelmark hole, the bosses on the
starter are about 1/2" away from the block. I have tried two different
starters to no avail.
If there was not a special starter called out by Kelmark I can only assume
that the Vortec block is different. I got the adapter from an old 327
conversion but there was no starter with it.
Only option appears to enlarge the hole in the Kelmark adaptor. That of
course is my last option.
Thanks for your ideas, Tim