[V8Vairs] GM TPI question

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Mon Feb 12 10:42:51 EST 2007

George, I've put in quite a few TPI units and I've found the factory ECM to
be easy to deal, 1/20th the hassle of an aftermarket ECM, which requires
programming. The VSS isn't a primary sensor but it becomes important for
idle management and torque converter clutch control (which probably isn't in
the cards for you). I did a VSS in a Corvair in the speedometer cable.  I
got an aftermarket VSS that had speedo cable fittings and had a speedo shop
chop 2" out of the speedo cable (between the dash and firewall) and install
speedo fittings. (now I have a short cable from the speedo to the VSS and a
long cable from the VSS to the front wheel).  BTW, accuracy isn't important
in the VSS.  Basically, all the ECM needs to know is whether or not the car
is moving.

I've done conversions using factory harnesses and aftermarket harnesses. If
$300 seems like a good trade for about 10 hours time to you, get the
aftermarket harness.  They'll have all the research done, have a fuse panel,
fuel pump relay, appropriate lead lengths, check-engine-light, diagnostic
connector, power lines, and INSTRUCTIONS.  Well worth it.

I can send pix of the VSS install (as well as the in-tank pump), if you're
interested.
Craig Nicol