[V8Vairs] GM TPI question

Tim Barrie tbarrie at meritprecision.com
Mon Feb 12 13:28:07 EST 2007

George, Go to this site ( http://medusa.ih8mud.com/cruiser/Vortec.html ) for
more information on the engine and how to swap it into another body.
I believe that the anti-theft systems started in '97 when the VCM's changed
to silver. Up to that time the VCM's are black and no anti-theft. I'm told
post '96's are more of a challenge.
Vortecs were not offered in Corvettes so a program would not be available.
They have cast iron blocks and heads and were used in pickups - my engine
came out of a roll over.
The software is the standard GM software used to run a truck. The VIN is
used to reference the data base which tells the computer which options you
have. That is why I chose a manual transmission as the computer will have
different idle settings for an automatic. I have a friend that works at a GM
dealership so he downloaded the software at work using the VIN that I gave
him.
I have not had any problems, or stumbles, but I just fired it up before
Christmas. There is 2 feet of snow here so I haven't left the garage with it
yet. It has run quite a bit to get the air out of the cooling though.
I did take my time doing the wiring with the engine on a test stand and the
computer mounted roughly where it would be in the car. There are 60 wires
alone going into the computer. I had to figure out what I needed to keep on
the underhood fuse box as well and then tie it all into the body wiring
harness. You need to follow every wire and be careful and neat when changing
and wire lengths. The biggest challenge was fitting a standard GM in tank
fuel pump to a Corvair tank. The system uses the high pressure pump so I
thought that the most reliable would be a GM in tank system. When you have a
leak you know it quickly. Fortunately the pump only runs 2 seconds without
oil pressure.
I am re-building a Kelmark conversion that originally had a 327.
Contact me directly if you have any specific questions.
Tim