[V8Vairs] Engine Sub-frame

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 16:30:35 EST 2007

I could use some advice on engine subframe fabrication.  I am using a
Porsche 930 transaxle mated to a 350 block using a Kennedy adaptor plate, so
the engine is quite a bit further back in the car.  It actually sits behind
the rear seat hump in the floor pan.  This puts the engine to transaxle
interface right about where the stock transmission cross member was, so I
can't re-use that.  My plan was to build a front cross member with motor
mounts and secure the transaxle to the rear subframe, closer to where the
springs attach, using steel rod stock with hiem joints on each end.  My
local hot rod shop has told me I would have a flex-flyer and that I need to
build a much more substantial engine sub-frame.

Any thoughts on the extent of sub-frame bracing required to get this right
would be appreciated.

Jim Acker
206.617.3550