[V8Vairs] Engine Sub-frame

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Feb 17 17:26:08 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/17/2007 1:32:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jim.acker at comcast.net writes:

I could  use some advice on engine subframe fabrication.  I am using a
Porsche  930 transaxle mated to a 350 block using a Kennedy adaptor plate, so
the  engine is quite a bit further back in the car.  It actually sits  behind
the rear seat hump in the floor pan.  This puts the engine to  transaxle
interface right about where the stock transmission cross member  was, so I
can't re-use that.  My plan was to build a front cross  member with motor
mounts and secure the transaxle to the rear subframe,  closer to where the
springs attach, using steel rod stock with hiem joints  on each end.  My
local hot rod shop has told me I would have a  flex-flyer and that I need to
build a much more substantial engine  sub-frame.

Any thoughts on the extent of sub-frame bracing required to  get this right
would be appreciated.

Jim  Acker

Jim - there are several rear side motor mounts made for Chevy motors  They
generally bolt to the side bellhousing bolts (where the bolts enter the  block),
projecting out sideways a plate that can have a biscuit hount attached.
Moroso P/N 62595 would be one. Transdapt makes one as well. I'm not sure how
close a fit they would be with the Kennedy adapter. You will also have to  account
for the front stabilizer rods for the trailing arms as well. -  Seth