[V8Vairs] Crown Springs

Brown, Douglas T CIV NAVAIR DEPT douglas.t.brown at navy.mil
Fri Jun 15 16:34:35 EDT 2007

I have a Corv-8 with what I believe are Crown springs.  The front and
rear both sit higher and are stiffer than the stock springs.  I measured
the front spring wire diameter compared to the spring wire on my Corsa.
The V-8 springs are .510 diameter and the Corsa front springs are .450
diameter.  The front V-8 springs are so tall and stiff, the A-arms rest
against the overtravel bump stop.  I'm sure cutting them one or two
coils changes the way the spring mounts in the spring perch, as well as
the spring rate.

Frank Parker sent me a very nice sheet of formulas and measurements to
determine exactly what I need if I could get my car to a truck scale to
measure corner weights, and order custom springs.  I won't be able to do
that for some time, so I was wondering what others have done.  Any input
appreciated.

Toby Brown