[V8Vairs] Electric Water Pumps

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 19:01:57 EDT 2007

In a message dated 6/18/2007 9:59:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jim.acker at comcast.net writes:

Does  anyone have experience with electric water pumps for SBC engines?  They
 are advertised to pump at 35+ GPM and have a service life of 2000-3000  hrs.
 This is an attractive option, but I'm unsure how they will work for  normal
street use.  I found one post on the internet where a guy used it  for
everyday driving and swore by it.  Everyone else uses them for short  duration racing.

Hi Jim - You have several choices of water pumps. As you noted, the  real
intended usage for most has been drag racing. I have one (A  Meziere HD) on my
Autocross Camaro. That is a similar usage, short duration.  What I did was to
start the motor up in the run line and warm it a bit, then  turn on the pump a
soon as the temp came up. I also had twin electric fans  mounted. I would leave
the pump on during the run - while the motor was  running, an alternator was
charging. After finishing my run, I would let the  fans and the pump run. This
would quickly cool the motor down while waiting for  my next run. I had no
problems with it. For any application needing more  flow, the Stewart Components
is the class of the field. Check _www.stewartcomponents.com_
(http://www.stewartcomponents.com)  -  They claim 10,000 Hours and 55 GPM  - Seth