[V8Vairs] Crown 4-speed question

George Jones georgedjones at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 22:46:25 EST 2007

OK, These questions are for someone familiar with the inner workings of the
Crown modified 4-speed transmission.

Took my transmission out yesterday and noticed that there was some oil
inside the bell housing. Not much, but more than I cared to see. Out of
curiosity, I popped the 4 bolts holding the throw out bearing shaft to see
what was causing the leak. I noticed that the inside of the shaft has a seal
pressed in it (looks like the same seal used in the side adjuster on a
diff). Took a couple of measurements and noted that the seal does not mate
with the input shaft. What gives? What would the purpose of this seal be?

Also, since I now need to rebuild the transmission I removed, (4th gear
synchro is shot), Is there any document (other than the shop manual) that
illustrates the idiosyncrasies of the Crown modified transmission? I could
probably wing it, but would feel much more secure if I had an IPB to help.

Thanks,
--
George Jones