[V8Vairs] New trans axle

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 16:26:41 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/3/2007 12:23:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vairmech at aol.com writes:

???  Sorry, not the same thing. I am talking TRANSAXLE, one unit  already.

Ken Hand

The C5 and C6 Corvette use a similar transaxle - as in similar to one
another. The transmission is bolted onto the front of the differential and the
input from the engine reaches the front of the trans with a long, engine speed
driveshaft. The Automatic version has the torque converter at the front, I
believe, just behind the motor. The Six-speed definitely has the flywheel and
clutch there. The main shaft of the transaxle is not hollow, and as currently
built would not allow the Corvair to be bolted to it. (anything could be done,
but, like the T5 conversion lots of work would be needed. The whole transaxle
assembly is longer than a "Saginaw" 4 speed Corvair transaxle, and like the
T5 conversion, the floor would have to be modified for an install. Of course,
with a mid-engine install, much of the floor is removed. It might be
possible to somehow attach the bellhousing on the V8 directly to the front of  the
Vette transmission. The shifter points out the front of the T56 in the  vette,
but mostly the same trans is used in the Camaro/Firebird, with the  shifter
behind the majority of the trans, so it might be doable. But, with the  increased
length of the transaxle vs. the Corvair, the V8 engine is going to sit  even
further forward in the Chassis. It might be easier to just front-mount  the
engine and extend the connector tube between the engine and the stock  Vette
transaxle. This has been done for some aftermarket installs. I think a  good
install might be a modified Big car Powerglide mounted to the Vette  differential.
It might not be too close to your elbow, but, although  someone is working on
one, I haven't seen one run yet. -  Seth