[V8Vairs] Kelmark shift linkage

Bruce azcamino at cox.net
Mon Nov 12 19:20:41 EST 2007

I am trying to understand how to install the shift linkage for a Kelmark V-8 Vair.  I purchased a used kit removed from another Corvair that included the shift linkage.  Here is a link to a photo of that linkage.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/medium/66_V8-Vair_021.jpg

I suspect this is not as Kelmark intended it, after doing my best to understand the Kelmark installation instructions.  The rear connection to the transmission is not a problem, and I think the front shifter handle part is probably a Kelmark piece, but the center looks to me like a steering shaft and support that has been incorporated.  The support only rotates and does not allow the shaft to move forward and backward.  I don't see a support for the front of the shifter,

Does this look correct?  I would have thought the OEM shifter tube would have been used in some way.  What handle did Kelmark use on the shifter?

Please comment on the parts that I have and help me understand what an original Kelmark setup should like and how to install it.  Thanks

Bruce