[V8Vairs] Wiring Question

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 00:12:41 EDT 2007

Having gotten past the internally regulated alternator wiring retrofit, I am
now facing the starter.  My starter has two connections, one for the battery
cable and the other for the ignition switch wire.  The Corvair wiring
harness has a three wires that come together in a connector.  One wire is
the positive coil wire, one is a cloth insulated wire from the body harness
that shares the same terminal as the positive coil wire in the connector,
and the other is the heavy gauge purple ignition switch wire.

Clearly the battery wire connects to the "R" terminal on the Corvair starter
and the purple goes to the "S" terminal.  As my starter has only the battery
and ignition switch terminals, my question is what to do with the "B"
terminal wire?  It seems I can simply splice the cloth insulated wire to the
coil wire and skip the branch to the starter all together.   I just need to
connect the purple wire and my positive battery wire to the starter, right?

I would appreciate it if someone could verify I have this right.

Thanks,
Jim Acker