[V8Vairs] Borg-Warner T-5 shift linkage

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Apr 11 17:31:38 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/10/2008 7:31:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
s10birdman1966 at yahoo.com writes:

...anyone have ideas on mid-engine linkage ? I'm getting Saginaw  mainshafts
ready to send to Moser,and may as well send a T5 shaft,too...Tom  Z..//

First, there are several types of top covers for the T5. Shafts go either
forward or aft. All of the shifting is done from the top. Since the shifting
shaft moves in and out of the cover, and left-right, you should be able to shift
 it with a pair of cables. Special Porsche applications and some high end
Dune Buggy applications use a very expensive cable set-up to do that, but the
ingenuity of the Corvair guys should make it possible to duplicate it -
cheaply,  I'll bet. I think you might end up with some type of "Ferrari-esque" gate
near  the floor to maintain the gear selection, but, if the cables are stiff
enough  maybe you won't need it. I made a prototype shifter for the T5 into the
Corvair  - rear engined - and it involved taking a T5 tailshaft housing,
turning it 180  degrees, cutting off everything but the shifter area, then welding
it to a  cut-down Corvair Shift housing. The shaft exited the rear and would
have been  connected to the T5 shaft at the front of the transmission with a
U-jointed  tube. I never got the setup in the car, but it should have worked
okay, with the  correct pattern, etc. I don't know how you would get that shaft
around a  mid-mounted engine though. It does make for an interesting concept. -
Seth  Emerson

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)