[V8Vairs] Flywheel - Aluminum or Steel?

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Feb 28 09:20:02 EST 2008

 ??? On the subject of flywheels and shock loads, keep in mind that the Corvair differential can take pressure it just will not take the shock load of a drag strip start. Most differentials don't break on deceleration usually but rather when you put to much power to quick.
??? It is correct that you can put more power to the diff with an aluminum flywheel but the shock load is greatly reduced overall, mainly because of the reduced rotating mass. If I were to own a V-8 Corvair and I had the choice, I would use the aluminum flywheel.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com