[V8Vairs] Too Much of a Good Thing? Aluminum/Steel

Paul Siano paulsiano at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 13:04:24 EST 2008

  Thanks for your thoughts regarding my previous post.

  When I work on my car and think about possibilities, I sometimes get on a tangent of putting everything that can be aluminum on my engine.  So far it has aluminum: intake, heads, block, oil pan, bell housing, valve covers, front cover, crank pulley, radiator, coolant pipes and water pump.

While thumbing through a catalog, I noticed an aluminum fluid damper. I presume that a lighter damper in conjuction with and aluminum flywheel would exacerbate reduced rotating mass issues. Is there general agreement that an aluminum flywheel and damper would be "too much" or is it a case of  "you can't be too rich or too thin?"  Has anybody had any experience with that combination?

 Thanks again,

Paul