[V8Vairs] Covair Trike setup.

spacex4 spacex4 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 00:54:13 EST 2008

To whom it may concern;
I have a 66Monza engine and manaul transaxle.  I wish to design a Trike from it, but I don't want the engine hanging off the back-end, because of the weight.  I have some ideas for an independent wish-bone style suspesnsion, but I would like to mount the engine front ward and the transaxle to the
rear.

This would give me the weight to hold the front-end down, without adding to the mass or adding a 4th center wheely (training) wheel to hold the front down.  (It's a litle hard to steer with the front off the ground on a Trike.)

I'm thinking that I could run the transaxle upside down to make the wheels turn the proper direction, and
Make a mounting plate for the engine to get it to work.  Also considering trying to redisign and install a Ford Truck style hydrolic clutch to replace the old cable system.  The trick will be in the alignment and
to loose the length on the pilot shaft.

Anyone know of anyone who has done this?  Can you think of any reason the transaxle can't be run upside down, beside having to ensure it has enough gear oil in it?  Do you thin the 15" wheels will have enough clearence after the flip?  If there is enough ground clearence, I think this configuration solves a lot of problems.

I don't know if I could just change a ring-ear instead.  Please advise.

I'd appreciate any input.

Space

spaex4 at hotmail.com