[V8Vairs] Flipped Corvair Transaxle

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 23 12:12:50 EDT 2008

Kevin wrote:
> I also have a gear to gear timing gear set, which > allows the crankshaft to run the reverse direction and the cam runs in the > standard rotation, this set up gives me a slew of camshafts to choose from.

Kevin- I have built two Corvairs with reversed rear mounted engines.
One a 350 SBC and the second, my current 4.3 V6.
A gear to gear reversed crank-standard rotation cam setup requires a special cam
designed to open and close the valves in a reverse order. I used a marine cam from
a Mercury Marine dealer for my V8 car. That cam came in a GM box with a GM part number.
I had contacts at GM at the time and they had trouble looking up the part number but
said it was not a production car part. (Duh!)
The cam for my 4.3 came from my local engine rebuilder. I looked thru his catalog and picked the cam.
It is a cam manufactured by Wolverine/Blue Racer for a reverse rotation 4.3 in a dual engine boat.
I believe Wolverine is part of Crane cams now.
If you compare a cam for a reversed engine with a stock cam you can easily see that the lobes
point in different directions.
I wonder about your "slew" of cams to chose from.
Ed