[V8Vairs] Recent purchase of V8Vair

Baxter, Kevin Kevin.Baxter at probation.lacounty.gov
Mon Nov 10 18:33:05 EST 2008

Hi Lonnie,

My name is Kevin Baxter and if I'm not mistaken, I met Mike at the Palm Springs meet some years back. His Corv-8 was pretty beautiful, but he had a slight mishap (perhaps loading or unloading from trailer?) and wrinkled a rear fenderwell. I have pictures of the car from that meet.

If this is indeed the same vehicle, compare the front fender well openings to that of another, stock Corvair. Mike asked my daughter Sarah and I if we noticed anything different about the fender well openings, when we replied, "No, not really", he said, "Good!" He opened them up a bit at the trailing edge for more clearance for the front tires when turned in either direction to lock, but didn't want anyone to notice the modification. It was cleanly done and I would never have known if he hadn't mentioned it.

I'm sorry to hear he has passed. Mike was a nice guy. Very friendly and patient with me as I picked his brain 'bout V8 Vairs. I told him about my Corv-8 project (still apart, but have all the bits and pieces to put together now!) and must have asked him dozens of questions, which he happily answered.

You have a beautiful car! Best of luck with it!

Regards,
Kevin