[V8Vairs] Kelmark/ME input shaft

Bruce Tester azcamino at cox.net
Fri Nov 21 14:59:53 EST 2008

I don’t know why the Kelmark requires the extra 1 1/8  inch length.  I do know that Clark’s sells a strengthened stock length 66-69 shaft.  It has the same strength specifications as the longer (Kelmark) shaft they made in the past but is not now available.  I bought one of the strengthened stock length shafts to use in a Kelmark Corvair I am assembling.  To use the stock length shaft, you need to use a 64/65 Borg Warner Corvair 4-spd instead of the Saginaw.  I haven’t finished assembling mine yet, but one issue seems to be the shaft oil seal at the input.  The Kelmark instructions say how to deal with this.  A bearing retainer on the 66-later differential has to be slightly modified to eliminate some interference with the earlier transmission.  I think this is going to work for me.
Bruce Tester