[V8Vairs] Kelmark/ME input shaft

The13Bats at aol.com The13Bats at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 16:56:09 EST 2008

Which is better Borg or saginaw?
do they make a first gear and ring and pinion that allows take  offs in first
gear?
Thanks
P.

In a message dated 11/21/2008 3:00:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
azcamino at cox.net writes:

I don’t  know why the Kelmark requires the extra 1 1/8  inch length.  I do
know that Clark’s sells a strengthened stock length 66-69 shaft.  It has  the
same strength specifications as the longer (Kelmark) shaft they made in  the
past but is not now available.  I bought one of the strengthened  stock length
shafts to use in a Kelmark Corvair I am assembling.  To use  the stock length
shaft, you need to use a 64/65 Borg Warner Corvair 4-spd  instead of the
Saginaw.  I haven’t finished assembling mine yet, but one  issue seems to be the
shaft oil seal at the input.  The Kelmark  instructions say how to deal with
this.  A bearing retainer on the  66-later differential has to be slightly
modified to eliminate some  interference with the earlier transmission.  I think this
is going to  work for me.
Bruce Tester