[V8Vairs] Transmissions and gearsets

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 23:24:39 EST 2008

In a message dated 11/21/2008 3:08:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
65crownv8 at gmail.com writes:

Ring  & Pinion gears are available  in:

3.08:1
3.27:1
3.55:1
3.89:1

The 66 and later  "Saginaw" 4 speed is more stout than the 65 and earlier 4
speed, however,  unless you're planning to put some serious HP behind (or in
front of) that  transmission either should perform well. The 65 and earlier,
in my opinion,  is a much smoother transmission. Tough call and probably best
to test drive  both to decide.

Assuming you're going with a V8 in your GT-40 I would  recommend the 66 &
later transmission with a lot of work to the  differnetial.

George Jones

There are 4.11:1  gearsets available as well (Aftermarket only) - They  are
torque limited (smaller teeth on the ring gear) but they are around. The  other
advantage of the 66-up Transmission is that closer ratio gearsets are
available. The  2.54 to one first gear would be a big advantage  in a lightweight
car. The stock 3.11 low being pretty useless, the 3.20 low of  the 64-65 being
even worse. But the 65's do shift better.

- Seth Emerson