[V8Vairs] Recent purchase of V8Vair

Lonnie M. Campbell lmharley at truvista.net
Tue Oct 21 22:44:39 EDT 2008

I know what he meant - I have had quite a few Corvettes and Camaros and have
always felt the same way.  Not only that, in retrospect I myself felt guilty
undertaking some of the car projects in my past such as putting a straight
axle under a super nice original '55 Chevy DelRay, like I was taking
something away from the car.

Any Corvair fan, if they think about it, should understand that a Corvair is
a niche vehicle that appeals to only a certain defined and small group of
people.  That is evident from what a restored Corvair will bring when
compared to a restored Camaro.  To restore either takes about the same
amount of work, interior components about the same, takes about the same
labor and paint to refinish the exterior.  But when sale time comes, a
Corvair will bring 1/3 - 1/2 of what a similar Camaro will - if the seller
is lucky.  Supply and demand.  So taking a run of the mill Corvair of any
model and undertaking a V8 conversion does not detract from the car.  In
fact, it gives me the feeling that finally the car can live up to its
potential.

With a Corvair, it is also different in that at a big Corvair show (the last
one I attended was the CORSA Nationals in Asheville, NC) if you do a radical
mid-engine conversion, no one is offended!  People of all persuasions just
want to check it out.  Do a radical conversion to a Corvette and at a
Corvette show the gasps of the offended will suck the air out of the room!
I took a '73 non-AC Vette, back-halved it with a 9-inch Ford 4-link, 502
with a Richmond 5-spd, full cage, aluminum dash and interior and you would
think I had shot the Easter bunny!

Lastly, what is so great about a Crown-style or Kelmark conversion is
this....Let those who belittle the Corvairs laugh all they want, let's get
'em out on the road and a Corv-8 owner can show them what it means when they
say, "He who laughs last, laughs best!"

Lonnie