[V8Vairs] Crown Kit

Chris Wills cjwills at msn.com
Tue Sep 23 01:14:28 EDT 2008

Hi Bob,

I have been slow on this.  I did get a 2,73 ratio rear - probably an earlier version case.  I did not realize that there were different mounting patterns - I haven't really dug into this that much.  I have a twin turbo 283 in my Vair, so I plan to use the 2.73 ratio with a 3.1 first gear tranny.  2.56 is pretty high - great for a top end car.  I calculated 161 MPH for mine at 6000 RPM.  The turbo engine has lots of low end torque, so it should be able to pull that low a gear on trhe street.  It would be better with a longer stroke like a 350 or 383.  I also have an aluminum flywheel, so may have to slip the clutch a bit to get going.  I can always go to a 3.15 or lower ratio,  The C5 stuff is relatively cheap to buy on Ebay.   It would be good to find out how different the bolt patterns are - hopefully, they are similar with extra bolts added for the stronger (newer?) versions.  I  figure any C5 rear will hold up in a lightweight Vair...

Chris Wills