[V8Vairs] Crown Kit

Robert Rosencrans elviscamino1 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 21:31:47 EDT 2008

Hi Chris

I like the idea of a more aggressive small displacement v8.  I've switched from a side draft webered 350 to use a 04 xlr northstar. From what I've observed there is an early and late bolt pattern and an auto and manual surface. The  manual has a flat surface and shares gear lube with the trans.. The auto has a lip and a seal to keep fluids separate.   Looks like the early 97-04 all share the same bolt pattern and have their mount underneath.  These appear to be the most abundant .  The late have a different bolt pattern and have no provision for a mount underneath.   Their mounts look like they would interfere with your trans shift linkage. These are supposed to have stronger components  and are available with an external oiler.

I'm not a big fan of the modern no offset wheel look so I would rather keep some of the vair's rear suspension.  I think a sling type mount  could work with tabs to make it a four link.  If  the universal joints are the same on an EM as an LM, an EM's inner axle flange could be easily adapted to the vette axle and bolted to the rear hub.   Also, with a bit more work the control arm could be reworked to accept a c5 hub and use the vettes shortened axle.

Keep me posted

Bob