[V8Vairs] SBC Flywheel

Thomas, Robert R Civ USAF AFMC 76 PMXG/OBPE Robert.Thomas at tinker.af.mil
Thu Jul 9 15:27:35 EDT 2009

I should have this asked of the experts here long ago.

Does anyone know of a flywheel that'll fit an 87-91 (L98) SBC that's 12"
or less in diameter across the ring gear teeth? The stock flywheel (153
tooth) is about 12.8". These are externally balanced and have different
bolt patterns than the early cranks. The later flywheels have some sort
of wobbling counterweight so they won't work.

I talked to machine shops around here about turning down the OD of a
stock flywheel but I can't find one that will do it. Maybe if I needed a
wagon wheel fixed I could find a shop to do that. Maybe redrilling a
smaller flywheel will work, I dunno yet.

I've looked at what various Fiero suppliers offer but I'm not liking
their solutions for my application.

Bob Thomas
68 Monza