[V8Vairs] I wiped a cam lobe. Now what?

Joel McGregor joelsplace at earthling.net
Mon Jun 22 09:02:58 EDT 2009

If you were using the normal Mobil1 it doesn't have enough additives to handle flat tappet cams.  You have to use the extended change Mobil1.  I think it's the one with the gold cap.  The silver cap stuff is for cars with roller cams and cat converters.  They have to leave out most of the shear additives to pass the latest oil certifications.  If you check the bottle the extended change oil doesn't have the latest certs.  I can't remember which additive it is.  Zinc? But it supposedly is hard on converters.  I've read about a lot of cams failing with the new spec oil.
BTW don't run the extended change oil any longer than normal since the additives are what wear out.

Joel McGregor
817-994-8600