[V8Vairs] Alignment/suspension setup

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 15:08:20 EDT 2010

There are two core issues with the Corvair front suspension that are not
addressed by changing springs and adding a sway bar.  First is the fact that
it has completely screwed up Ackerman angle.  This is the line through the
steering arm pivot and the lower ball joint, which should cross somewhere
near the middle of the rear axle line.  Because the Corvair is front steer
(steering linkage in front of front axle line) and the steering arms angle
in, this line on a Corvair points outside the car body into infinity and
beyond.  This problem causes the outside wheel in a corner to turn much more
sharply than the inside wheel, causing the outside wheel to "plow". By
converting to a front disc set-up, which you should anyway with a V8, you
can gain the needed room to angle the steering arms outward and into the
wheel, providing proper Ackerman angle. My arm is about 3/8" from the disc
and my wheels are within 6 degrees of each other through the turning radius.

The second issue is camber.  A Corvair actually does the opposite of what
you want in stock form.  The outside wheel gains camber with body roll and
suspension compression, due to the fact that the upper control arm actually
faces downward through most of its travel.  This is less easily corrected,
as it requires fabrication.  In my car, I have installed tubular upper and
lower control arms and lowered the pivot point of the upper arms to point
the arms slightly upward at static rest.  I gain over 2 degrees of negative
camber through the suspension travel.

I plan to post photos of my new front end to my website in the near future.
I'll let everyone know when I do.

Jim Acker