[V8Vairs] Article

paulsiano@aol.com paulsiano at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 22:11:36 EDT 2010

The engine that's in it now is the third one I've had in it.  I started with a 327 low hp, went to a 302 that was a true performer, and went to the aluminum 283 because it was a neat piece.

Frank Parker called today and made a suggestion I didn't know about which was exploring the idea of trading the alum. 283 for an E-rod package which I learned consists of an LS-3 436 hp Corvette and everything necessary to drop it into any project car.  While not as easy as installing what I'm familiar with, it might be some something GM and the museum
might consider.  (I do have some concern that it might be too much for the transaxle.)  Frank also told me about a bellhousing that bolts to an LS and a Corvair transmission.

The alum 283 short block will go on eBay soon with a high reserve to try to learn what the market price is. If the reserve is met, I should have enough to get the perfect engine for the car at last.  The question is "What is the perfect engine for a V-8 Corvair?"

Stay tuned, as they say,

Paul