[V8Vairs] Perfect Engine for V-8 Corvair

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Wed Nov 3 15:28:39 EDT 2010

> My technique was to get it moving before I "mashed on it" as the truckers say.
> I never had any trouble from the tranny, a 66 model with double close gears or the diff, a CIDCO 3:27 unit. My 350 dyno'ed at 340 HP.
> Rick Norris

That was my experience also. My original Crown in 1970 used a used
350/350hp small block. Tires are the fuse-they need to spin before the
torque kills the diff. When the 350 got tired, I bought a brand new
302/302 4 bolt long block and redid car. That is when I broke the R/P with
the smaller motor BUT it was me. I did a hard 1/2 slip at mid rpm and with
the 302, I had not gotton to the point in torque curve where tires would
spin and all but 1 teeth came off ring gear. I had posi, 4 spider which
survived. Now days adding a shoulder bolted top plate would help.

frank

PS: Future plans may include a new crown using saginaw trans with C5 diff
and using a brand new 4.3L turbo V6 Typhoon motor gathering dust in shop.
With a new BB turbo, it would spool fast, the slight lag would help
protect trans. Motor is designed for 15-20 psi boost and my old TY weighed
4200 # and did 13.1 qtr times and made 450+ torque. Imagine in a 2800 #
vair.