[V8Vairs] Perfect Engine for V-8 Corvair/ Positraction

Thomas, Robert R Civ USAF AFMC 76 PMXG/OBPE Robert.Thomas at tinker.af.mil
Thu Nov 4 08:44:34 EDT 2010

I drag raced my first 68 Corvair 500 for a couple of years. It had a
mildly built 140,  '66 4-speed with Kelly Springfield B50-13 tires on
13x7 steel wheels. It had an open differential, probably with 3.55
gears. I launched by revving the engine to an indicated 6000 rpm and
rapidly releasing the clutch. I shifted hard and the tires spun in 1st,
2nd and 3rd. I never had a problem with one legged wheel spin. I also
autocrossed this car and had no trouble zinging the back end around in
tight corners (boy, did the workers run away!).

So, I believe the open differential is stronger than the posi unit. Is a
posi rear end of any benefit in a V-8 car that's used in autocrossing
and maybe vintage road racing?

Bob Thomas 68 Monza