[V8Vairs] Perfect Engine for V-8 Corvair/ Positraction

Jim Acker jim.acker at comcast.net
Sat Nov 6 16:03:49 EDT 2010

I'm not planning to actually change a thing.  The Cable Shifter works fine,
as does the whole car.  My post was really more for the person thinking
about building a mid-engine vair, or someone doing another car. If I was
starting over, I think I'd run a built-up, blown and injected V6 with Arch's
transaxle set-up.

The short answer to the question is that you just don't need a manual to go
fast.  With a boat load of power and an automatic, you can just stamp on the
gas and slide a common Hurst style floor shifter through the gears.  You
could even use paddle shifters.  I wish there was a compact automatic that
didn't have the auto-shift mechanism in the tail shaft; then you could just
run around in drive!  Another very interesting option is the dual-clutch
automatic that is coming out in all the new cars.  Those beauties eliminate
the torque converter and huge bell housing, but I'm not aware of any that
are strong and affordable.

Jim