[V8Vairs] Front Cover and Video

kevin baxter quartzhillbilly at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 12:24:29 EST 2010

Hey Paul,

The Corvair (particularly the late model, in my opinion) is such sleek and sporty design. Anyone who can't see that is obviously a clueless moron, and undeserving to gaze upon such beauty anyway! (lol!)

I dollied-out the Cidco rear and trans (from behind my wife's bar :-) to my shop last evening. I'd separated them years ago, sending the trans off with Bob Coffin for installation of brand-new Crown parts.

I spent the rest of the evening gathering bits and pieces from the house, garage and elsewhere. Unearthed the following new goodies: Coffin front and rear tubular sway bars, dual brake master and clutch master/slave set-up, quick steering arms, Kevlar brake shoes w/new spring/hardware kits (drums still all around for now) Crown rear strut rod bracket, aluminum strut rods and stainless (small, forward-mounted) control rods, all new front suspension components including Delrin bushings, ball joints, tie rods and ends, thermostatically-controlled radiator cooling fan, shifter bushings, clutch/brake pedal bushings, new pedal rubber pads and a few other items.

I am preparing to remove the motor and scrap the home-made sub-frame. I plan to modify (shorten) the Crown sub-frame per an example I saw on an excellent Corv-8 car a few years ago at the Palm Springs FBT. Once sub-frame, engine and rear suspension (I rebuilt the rear w/Delrin bushings years ago, but never reassembled) are assembled into car, I will drop the front suspension sub-frame and rebuild everything, including welding-up seams on sub-frame for extra strength, etc.

I'm spending the Holiday and next few days camping/dirt-biking in the desert, but will be sure to get some pictures of the Cidco stuff and forward to you as soon as I get back this weekend. Yeee-Haaaaa!

Kev