[V8Vairs] Fwd: <VV> 4.56:1 Corvair Diff?

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sun Sep 26 15:52:54 EDT 2010

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Nall <patiomatt at aol.com>
To: paulsiano at yahoo.com
Sent: Sun, Sep 26, 2010 12:51 pm
Subject: Re: <VV> 4.56:1  Corvair Diff?

http://www.capitalcitycorvairs.com/files/rpmvsmph.xls

 Download it and put in your numbers..

  4.11's is the steepest ratio

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/

-----Original Message-----
From: paulsiano at aol.com <paulsiano at yahoo.com>
Sent: Sun, Sep 26, 2010 12:25 pm
Subject: <VV> 4.56:1  Corvair Diff?

I bought my 1966 Corsa tubro new and four years later started a Crown
conversion.  I have always been under the impression the differential was 3.55.

...and then this email arrived today from Don Sherman:

I also met with your engine builder and his lovely mother.  This
prompted a few calculations which I just made.  I am convinced the
final drive ratio in your car is 4.56:1.  That matches perfectly to
the observed speeds in gears--39 in first, 55 in second, 82 in third
and 120 in fourth, all at 7500 rpm.  Do you find that credible?
Surprising?  sincerely, ds

Do 4.56 ring and pinions exist for Corvairs?

I'm all ears.

Paul